1. The phrase “rule of thumb” is derived from an old English law which stated that you couldn’t beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.
2. The dot over the letter “i” is called a tittle.
3. A raisin dropped in a glass of fresh champagne will bounce up and down continuously from the bottom of the glass to the top.
4. Chewing gum while peeling onions will keep you from crying.
5. A 2 X 4 is really 1-1/2″ by 3-1/2″.
6. During the chariot scene in “Ben Hur,” a small red car can be seen in the distance (and Heston’s wearing a watch).
7. On average, 12 newborns will be given to the wrong parents daily. This is disconcerting.
8. The number of possible ways of playing the first four moves per side in a game of chess is 318,979,564,000.
9. There are no words in the dictionary that rhyme with orange, purple and silver.
10. Astronauts are not allowed to eat beans before they go into space because passing wind in a spacesuit damages them.
11. If one places a tiny amount of liquor on a scorpion, it will instantly go mad and sting itself to death.
12. Bruce Lee was so fast that they actually had to s-l-o-w film down so you could see his moves.
13. The first CD pressed in the US was Bruce Springsteen’s “Born in the USA.”
14. By raising your legs slowly and lying on your back, you cannot sink into quicksand.
15. Celery has negative calories. It takes more calories to eat a piece of celery than the celery has in it to begin with.
16. An old law in Bellingham, Washington, made it illegal for a woman to take more than three steps backwards while dancing.
17. The Guinness Book of Records holds the record for being the book most often stolen from public libraries.
18. The glue on Israeli postage is certified kosher.
19. Bats always turn left when exiting a cave. Similar to the oceans, bats are affected by the moon. Due to bats hanging upside down, the moon always appears at their feet. When the moon sets in the western hemisphere, this appears on the bat’s left hand side. As a result bats are naturally orientated to their left hand side when they fly out of their cave. Truth.
20. Many traffic lights and lift buttons are actually placebo buttons – in other words, they do nothing at all when pressed. They exist to give the presser the feeling of control.
21. The first couple to be shown in bed together on prime time TV were Fred and Wilma Flintstone.
22. Men can read smaller print then women can; women can hear better.
23. It is impossible to lick your elbow.
24. Charlie Chaplin once won third prize in a Charlie Chaplin look-alike contest.
25. The first novel ever written on a typewriter: Tom Sawyer.
26. 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321
27. Each king in a deck of playing cards represents a great king from history:
Spades – King David
Hearts – Charlemagne
Clubs -Alexander, the Great
Diamonds – Julius Caesar
28. Q. What do bulletproof vests, fire escapes, windshield wipers, and laser printers all have in common?
A. All invented by women.
29. It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride’s father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the honey month, which we know today as the “honeymoon”.
30. The very first bomb dropped by the Allies on Berlin in World War II killed the only elephant in the Berlin Zoo.[Via]
Also, since I have nowhere else to put it, this….