This amuses me to no end.
Take a look at this picture. It is what the proposed Flight 93 memorial will look like from the air (Flight 93, as you recall, was the flight that crashed in Pennsylvania on 9/11).
The image-over-substance wingnuts are absolutely freaking out about it. Why? Because it’s sorta shaped like a crescent! You know — the crescent!! The symbol of Islam!!
Michelle Malkin has a round-up of all the outrages, including my favorite (so far) from hyper-paranoid Charles at Little Green Footballs, who asks: "Is this a coincidence, an example of amazing cluelessness, or something more deliberate?"
Yes, Charles. It was deliberate. The planning committee for the memorial, which includes families of the Flight 93 victims, are really just a bunch of closet islamofascists.
Let me see if I can one-up their paranoia. Wasn’t New Orleans known as the "Crescent City"? Coincidence? Seems unlikely. Maybe that hurricane wasn’t a hurricane, but a clever Bush attack on Islam! I guess that would explain why Bush was so aloof to the plight New Orleans faced — he didn’t want to interfere with military operations.
Now, to be fair, the Flight 93 Memorial does look like the crescent that you find on many Islamic flags (including the proposed flag for the New Iraq, the nation we
screwed up are building as a response to 9/11 . . . which actually makes the memorial design more ironically apropos than many people realize).
But I’m offended by the design for other reasons. Here’s what the Flight 93 Memorial also looks like:
- The letter "C". Obviously, this is an endorsement of the Clintons. The design should be reworked so that it is less partisan.
- A smile. There was nothing funny about the fate of Flight 93. Why besmirch this solemn ground with a feel-good symbol?
- A frown. 9/11 was really sad, but do we need to be reminded of that fact?
- A chamber pot. This is just plain offensive. It sends the message that the victims of Flight 93 were just pieces of shit.
- The letter "C" again. Actually, it looks like the "C" in "Coca-Cola", and it’s the same color. This is nothing but crass commercialization of a national tragedy.
- A fingernail clipping. This isn’t offensive so much as bizarre. What were the designers thinking?
- The moon. This would be okay, except that the plane hit the ground in the middle of a sunny day.
- A croissant. Too French. ‘Nuff said.
- The chemical symbol for "Uranium". This is a bad idea. It will only serve to make everyone think of "yellowcake" and WMD not being found, and all that stuff.
- Charlie Brown’s head. When designing memorials, you have to think long-term. This memorial is going to be there for hundreds of years. Will future generations even know who Charlie Brown was?
- A barrette. You know, the thing that Josie and the Pussycats have in their hair. Bad idea — see "fingernail clipping" above. Also, they’re not in fashion, I’m told. And, if you ask me, "barrette" sounds a little French.
- A rainbow. For the love of all that is good and decent, can’t the gays stop foisting their agenda on the rest of us?
P.S.: Maybe we should redesign the crescent-shaped wall at the MLK memorial. And the crescent-shaped U.S. Navy Memorial (that bunch of dirty ragheads!)