Here are some links just from the past few days.
- PolitiFact has compiled 52 rulings that land on the false side of the organization’s truth spectrum.
- Washington Post: “Donald Trump is constantly lying.”
- Washington Post: “Trump’s outrageous claim that ‘thousands’ of New Jersey Muslims celebrated the 9/11 attacks“
- Business Insider: “Fact-checkers are shredding Donald Trump’s claims he saw people ‘cheering’ on 9/11“
- Daily Beast: “Chris Christie Tiptoes Around Donald Trump’s 9/11 Lie“
- Business Insider: “Donald Trump is spreading dangerous lies about Syrian refugees“
- BBC: “Trump ‘wrong’ in claiming US Arabs cheered 9/11 attacks”
- Inside Edition (URL): “Donald Trump: I Saw Thousands of American Muslims Celebrating After 9/11“
- Slate: “Trump’s Week of Fearmongering and Falsehoods“
- Houston Chronicle: “Donald Trump’s claim that ‘thousands’ of New Jersey Arabs celebrated 9/11 has no support“
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution: “What Donald Trump might have seen on 9/11. Hint: Not ‘cheering’ Arabs“
- The Telegraph: “Donald Trump repeats discredited claims that US Muslims ‘celebrated’ 9/11 attacks“
So…. why is Trump still leading in the polls? It’s not hard to figure out. Polls show that people have a high distrust in government and the media, so they simply believe Trump. Also, he says what they believe, so they don’t care about its accuracy.
It’s getting less and less funny, and more and more scary. In the long run, he won’t win and might even drag the party down. But still, his demagoguery is rare.