- His real name is Samuel Joe Wurzelbacher.
- He's NOT an unaffiliated voter. He's always been for McCain, and he's a registered Republican. [UPDATE: He was originally registered with the Natural Law Party, which supported (before it became defunct) a flat tax.]
- He "hates" Social Security.
- Why invading Iraq was good for Iraqis: "It’s like someone coming to Jesus and becoming saved"
- He's concerned that Obama's tax policies will hurt him if he buys a plumbing business, which is interesting since he doesn't even have a plumbing license nor the means to buy a plumbing business.
- Very few plumbers make $250,000 a year anyway, so he probably won't fall into the tax bracket of Obama's plan where he pays more taxes. The $250,000 applies to profits, not net income, and Joe doesn't seem to understand that.
- At best, all Joe is saying is that he doesn't support a regressive tax plan, which doesn't jibe with the majority of American people, especially those in the middle and lower income brackets.
- And, oh yeah — he doesn't his pay taxes anyway (link is to the docket of the Ohio courts showing that "Joe" owes back taxes). [UPDATE: More from Bloomberg]
- For what it's worth, the United Association of Plumbers and Pipefitters has endorsed Barack Obama
And although we don't KNOW this for sure if he's related, there was a fellow named Robert M. Wurzelbacher Jr., also from Ohio, who is the son-in-law of Charles Keating. Robert M. Wurzelbacher Jr. was caught up in the S&L scandal of the 1990's and did some time.